There may be a time where you may face a dilemma – whether to carry out the delivery yourself or to seek the courier services in Singapore. Let’s examine the pros and cons of ordering courier services in Singapore.
Pros of ordering courier services in Singapore
1. You save time and effort. This is quite common sense. If your order courier service, the couriers will take over the delivery for you. You will no longer have to spend time and effort delivering the items yourself. The only time you will need to spend is to make the courier service order from the courier company. Courier companies like PCA Masters (http://www.pcamasters.com) have made their order form easy to fill by the customers. Take note to fill in the full address accurately as the courier companies charge you for the trip made as per your instructions. If the addresses are wrong, you will still be charged. Once you made the order for the courier service, the courier company will take care of the rest. You can just stay put at your current location and the courier will come to you to collect the items from you. If you are talking about a delivery which needs to travel at least 5 kilometers, you can potentially save up to 1 hour of your time.
2. The items will be delivered faster. Couriers are able to deliver items faster than you. This is mainly because they know their way around Singapore better than you. Couriers have been traveling on the roads daily, and their experience on the roads leads to faster delivery speed.
3. It may be more reliable to hand over the delivery of the items to the couriers. Couriers have experienced delivering goods and they will be able to take better care of the items than you. They will know how to place their goods on their vehicles and secure them properly so that they don’t get damaged. Besides, if you have very bulky items which is much easier being transported using a van than your own car, the items will be better placed inside the van. If you attempt to squeeze the items, they may get damaged.
Cons of ordering courier services in Singapore
1. You will incur some delivery fee for engaging courier services. If you can deliver the items yourself, you will be able to save on that cost. However, having said that, I will advise you to weigh the benefits of saving that fee to the opportunity cost of your time. If you are not busy and are free to conduct the delivery yourself, then you should probably do it. However, if you are busy and have much more important things to do, then it’s better to outsource that delivery.
If you have not ordered courier services before, and you now need to on behalf of your company, here are some tips which would make you feel more assured in making the right, prudent decision… especially when you can find so many options online! There are so many things to take into consideration and you may feel totally overwhelmed and stressed out… and your boss may scold you. So, here are some tips to help you out and teach you how to properly order the right type of courier services and identify a good courier company in SIngapore.
Firstly, most companies in Singapore charge either via zones and/or distance. This is because there are central locations like CBD regions where the locations where documents are delivered are usually next to each other, resulting in cheaper prices; however, for further distances, such as from an outskirt to another outskirt in another region of the island, then it would take a significantly longer traveling time. As petrol costs and time needed to travel will be greater, the prices for such local, islandwide vs city only courier services would naturally be greater too.
Secondly, some companies charge different prices for deliveries which must be conducted on the same day and those which can be conducted the next working day. Usually the reason this is the case is because there would be some deliveries which need to be rearranged to a slightly different timing as originally planned if there is a new delivery which requires the item to be delivered within 12 hour timespan, versus a 36 hour timespan if it were to be only completed by the next working day!!!
Third of all, if your delivery has to be urgent (e.g. completed within 1-2 hours of pick up, then chances are the courier has to put down all other deliveries during that timeframe and complete your delivery first. In other words, you will definitely need to pay more for this higher level of urgent courier delivery services.
For the people who do not know how to order a delivery service in Singapore, here are some steps and then tips.
- Before you order, you should first know the postal code of both the pick up locations and delivery location. This is because most courier companies charge by the postal codes. The further the distance between your pick up point and delivery point, the more expensive it will be. This is usually the case for same day deliveries. If you have lots of consolidated deliveries to be performed, then that would be another issue altogether. Prices would generally be fixed and significantly lower if you have consolidated deliveries to be performed.
- Next of all, you should make sure that the item is ready before you contact the courier company. In the event that it will only be ready for collection after a particular time, then make sure that is known to the courier as well. This is because some couriers might reach your pick up location very quickly, and will charge you waiting fees if the document/item is not yet ready for collection. Therefore, make a note to the courier company if the document/item is only ready after a particular time.
- Third of all, make sure to specify a timing if you need an item to be delivered before a particular time which is not 6pm. Most courier companies in SG will deliver your items on the same day before 6pm if you do not specify any time frame. Thus, to ensure that your items don’t get missed out in terms of deliveries and still get delivered on time (especially for time sensitive courier deliveries), make sure to let the courier company know about all these requirements. They may charge more but it’s sensible to do it than to take the risk of having the items couriered late. After all, the charges are just a few dollars more only.
- Last but not least, make sure to work with an accountable courier company in SG. Some companies don’t send any kind of notification, or tracking to let the customer know that the item has been delivered successfully. Make sure to work with a company like PCA Masters – www.pcamasters.com/courier-delivery-singapore/ which provides that e.g. successful delivery statuses e.t.c.
Now, the above tips should be enough to set you up..